Group Mobile's Rugged Mobile Computer Comparison Charts offer side-by-side specification comparisons of the brands and models we carry based on rugged rating and form factor. Click on the following categories to view product comparisons. To read user reviews of the products we carry, visit the Product User Reviews page.
- Business-Rugged Laptops - Business rugged laptops are designed for road-warriors, but not necessarily for in-field, in-vehicle, or outdoor use. They have shock-mounted hard disk drives and magnesium casings, but are not sealed against the elements and can only handle a drop of 18 inches or less.
- Semi-Rugged Laptops - Semi-rugged Laptops are typically commercial computers, with standard, off-the-shelf components, that have been significantly enhanced for rugged use. This ruggedization normally entails a magnesium case, a shock-mounted hard disk drive and a spill-resistent keyboard.
- Fully Rugged Laptops - Fully rugged laptops are designed from the ground up for use in outdoor, dusty, or mobile conditions. Every component, and even the placement of those components, has been carefully considered. Fully rugged laptops can handle a spray of water from any direction due to their "sealed nature". This sealing also keeps out dust, dirt, sand, salt, moisture, heat, and cold. Rugged laptops often come with display screens that can be viewed in outdoor lighting conditions.
- Convertible Tablet PCs - Rugged convertible tablet PCs provide portability, power, and durability for mobile professionals. Convertible tablets look much like traditional laptops but the displays on these computers swivel 180 degrees and fold flat over the keyboard, offering users the choice of working in display mode and as a regular laptop.
- Semi-Rugged Tablet PCs - Semi-rugged tablets are less durable than fully rugged tablet PCs. They offer resistance from bumps and scrapes, as well as dust and water, but are not fully sealed. Semi-rugged tablets also provide some basic vibration protection.
- Fully Rugged Tablet PCs - Fully rugged tablets are designed from the ground up for use in outdoor, dusty, or mobile conditions. Every component, and even the placement of those components, has been carefully considered. Fully rugged tablets can handle a spray of water from any direction due to their "sealed nature". This sealing also keeps out dust, dirt, sand, salt, moisture, heat, and cold. Rugged tablets often come with display screens that can be viewed in outdoor lighting conditions.
- Rugged Handhelds - Rugged handheld computers are compact-sized computing devices, small enough to hold with one hand, and durable enough for use outdoors and in other tough mobile computing environments. Rugged handhelds typically have a display screen with stylus and/or touch input and a compact keyboard or numeric keypad. Rugged handhelds are different from rugged laptops and tablets in that they run a scaled down version of the Windows operating system (Windows Mobile) vs. a full-blown version of Windows.